SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know not to run the ski out of water without supplying water to the exhaust as per the manual. The first time I flushed it I was taking my sweet ass time between turning it on and turning the hose water on and the ski started beeping and check engine light went on. I turned it off quickly and learned that you have to be quick about turning the ski on, then the water to flush, flush, rev a bit, then water off then ski off. I have that down pat now....

Tonight I was chatting with my friend who has a 2007 Seadoo GTI SE 155. He was saying how he hasn't started it in a month and his battery tender is acting weird. I told him to take it out on the water this week then for awhile to charge up the battery. He said he may just run it in the garage for awhile. I said without water?! Don't you have to have water running on it if its not in the water? He said he never does and its never given him a warning like mine did and that his has coolant.

Stupid that I didn't know but looked up and ya mine has coolant too. Duh, I figured it did..

So... dumb question but why do you have to have water going on a ski that is out of the water if the engine is running if it has coolant ? and ... are other skis different from the spark where you don't have to run water on them when they are on and out of the water.

Or? Is he about to kill his baby doing this. I told him to check his manual but he doesn't have it anymore.

What do you think guys?

·
Registered
379 Posts
WHY to use water or NOT to is the question
the answer is time running out the water ???

Most of the new four strokes have two different cooling systems
Closed loop eg the coolant in the bottle that does all the engine except the exhaust manifold and muffler on the spark goes to one of the aluminium plates on the bottom of the hull.

So the manual say run for 2 minutes max why there is not water flowing over the aluminium plate to cool it down so engine will over heat quick. Then could melt the plastic hull not good.

Second open loop that comes from the pump to the exhaust manifold to cool the exhaust gasses and flows to the muffler and out this couldn't be cooled by the closed loop as too much heat.

So I only run mine for 30 secs with no water, and 2 mins max on the hose and you will fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ditto on what xdrain said...the "coolant" in the engine will take a while to heat up enough to do damage(thermostat will open first at 195 then will heat the coolant to the plates) since your water pump moves coolant so you do have some type of heat exchange.
The biggest issue is the exhaust manifold and the muffler not getting cooled. I've seen two melted mufflers due to overheating - it ain't pretty.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Makes sense. So basically the " heart " may be okay with the coolant but without water back there you could burn the " ass " LOL. Good info. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Water on when flushing is to cool the exhaust
2 minutes max is because the seal on the drive shaft isn't being cooled by the water rushing by and will melt if run longer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts