SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - question for salt water users.

I have never operated a boat in salt water. I'm taking my spark to florida in December this year. I live in Michigan, so the trip to florida will be the last use it sees for a while. I'm going to winterize it down there, as I don't want to trailer back to the tundra if it isn't winterized yet. Do any of you guys use salt away, or do you just flush with fresh water? Is they anything else special I should be doing that the owners manual doesn't suggest?

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use fresh water only. Salt away is like one of those garden hose attachment things that will run solvent through the spray nozzle. In my opinion, if you can rinse, wash, and flush while the ski is still wet after pulling it up, you're in good shape.

Every now and then I'll spray some silicon spray just for a layer protection between the times I don't use it. Around the jet pump and stuff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just flush with fresh water and soap wash entire ski and trailer after every time it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rinse, flush and some anti corrosion spray.

I have noticed a bit of rust/corrosion building up on the bolts underneath the ski.
Replacing the shitty plastic washers with a steel set is worthwhile too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I only use mine in salt water (I have never flipped it or left the drain plug out when launching). I bought mine this summer and have used it 27 times. After I pull it out of the water, I flush it and wash the outside with soap and water (some soapy water manages to get down the air tubes, it just flows down the bottom, I tilt it up to drain and use a wet/dry vac for a minute to get the last of it out). I leave the drain hole pin out, the oil and access covers off so anything else can evaporate.

I had pulled the top off to install the manual reverse at around 25 hours. There was no evidence of salt inside (salt is really easy to see, after I drive the ski home, its all over the outside of the ski (dried white flakes)). I washed it anyway and then used heavy duty anti corrosion spray. I continue to look inside with a good flash light and still haven't found any evidence of salt another 25 hours later.

Soon I'll probably pull the top off again to install the depth finder. If and when I do, I'll take a good look around for salt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
At 47 hours, I just pulled the top off to install the pricey Depth Finder (which I love). Still no salt anywhere. Sea Doo did a great job with the Spark. The CRC Heavy Duty Anti-Corrosion stuff is still there (and tacky), still, I applied a little more).

·
Registered
916 Posts
I only use mine in salt water ( I live n Miami ) I flush with salt away after every ride and then I rinse the ski with it. It sucks that the dumb little attachment that mixes the salt away with the hose water is like $30! Before I ever put my ski in the water after I bought it new I sprayed fluid film inside with the reach wand thing and through the side access panel. The guys at the dealership service dept commented on how great it looks on the inside and that I did a great job with the fluid film. The wand was a pain in the ass and I felt like it sucked so I'm glad I did a better job that I thought :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts