SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you bought your spark did the dealer include any safety kit's or tell you about any of the safety requirements for PWC's? My dealer did not, Algonquin Equipment in sudbury, Ontario.

Got slapped with a $235 fine yesterday, I'm taking it to court to hopefully get it dismissed on the account that I really only needed a flashlight and a sound signaling device (my cell would be better than both of those) if the operator and passenger are wearing lifejackets.

The OPP Officer told me to fight the ticket (why even give it too me then right?!) and then go after the dealer for selling me the Spark without any safety equipment.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You also need a rope and something who float attached to it. Minimum 15m

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
What safety equipment you need depends on the jurisdiction you are riding in.
My Spark did not include a safety kit. The dealer never mentioned any safety items. When I asked them about it, they seemed completely unaware of the safety equipment requirements.
Good luck with the court. Hopefully they'll reverse the fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Safety requirements is part of your boating course

Took the boaters course in 2009... I was 11 at the time. Kinda figured the dealer would have at least gone over the basics or offered the required safety equipment too me.

Page 17 of the boaters booklet here tells you that you only need 4 things, and #'s 3-4 I was exempt from at the time because It was at 1:30PM and I was on a nav route. But yet the officer said "you don't have a re-boarding ladder, fire extinguisher,Rope...ETC." Even though those didn't apply because of the fine print that she didn't read.

When I showed her my drivers licence she also thought it was a Fake ID at first and tried to nail me with that too... I don't think she liked me.

Like F*ck I'm paying $235 for hardly missing two of the required safety items.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My dealer wasn't going to include it until I mentioned it but then he just through it in. Here a fire extinguisher isn't required as long as the rider is wearing their pfd. If the pfd is stored than the pwc requires a fire extinguisher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
You should pay the fine you didn't have the required safety. Not knowing the law is not an excuse. You should have read the book again... you will fail in court anyway. You needed the rope.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You need. Water resistant Flashlight. 15m rope with floating device attached to it and a whistle and wear the Life jackets in Ontario.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You need. Water resistant Flashlight. 15m rope with floating device attached to it and a whistle and wear the Life jackets in Ontario.

In Ontario a pfd does not NEED to be worn. If you actually wear the pfd it gets you out of having to carry more safety equipment. If you decide not to wear your PFD, I don't know why you wouldn't, you have to follow more safety regulations. Such as having a bilge pump, paddle, and others. I have added the regs from transport Canada's site, notice the note about PFD's.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
What's enforcement like on those waters in Ontario? Do police run an inspection blitz from time to time to ensure those on the water are in compliance and doing what's said to be best for them?

·
Registered
516 Posts
What's enforcement like on those waters in Ontario? Do police run an inspection blitz from time to time to ensure those on the water are in compliance and doing what's said to be best for them?

I ride the St.lawrence. So it's half and half USA and Canada. Every once in awhile you see the coast guard of either country and every now and then I see the rcmp.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In Ontario a pfd does not NEED to be worn. If you actually wear the pfd it gets you out of having to carry more safety equipment. If you decide not to wear your PFD, I don't know why you wouldn't, you have to follow more safety regulations. Such as having a bilge pump, paddle, and others. I have added the regs from transport Canada's site, notice the note about PFD's.
Yeah this is where the officer screwed up, both me and my girlfriend were wearing PFD's (We always do) So technically I had everything, If the court recognizes a waterproof cell phone for #1 and 2.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This happened in the north channel of lake huron, just outside the port of Little Current, The OPP pretty much just goes from boat to boat doing random checks like this. Only when the weather is nice or there is a major event happening (Ie. Canada Day, Haweater, Long weekends...)

·
Registered
306 Posts
We are getting the big Poker Run soon in Ontario. It's going to be crazy

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't really see a cell phone as a sound signalling device, but could definitely be a flash light. A sound signalling device is technically meant to be used to signal near by vessels, a cell phone I don't think would do as good a job instead of a horn or a whistle. Although you can call someone, it would be hard to signal near by boats. But even vessels with marine radios are required to carry a horn or whistle, so I don't think you'll get off on number 1

1 - 20 of 36 Posts