SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 2 Sea Doo Sparks (2015). They are still under warranty. I am kind of a safety nut because I have been boating since I was 6 and purchased my first PWC in 1978.

The Sea Doo's have never touched shore. They are anchored deep just like my wakeboard boat. My family and I went to the lake Memorial Day Weekend and took the Sea Doo's. They were hardly ridden, but, we did have to cross the rough basin of Lake Mead on the way back to the marina.

When I put them on the trailer, there was a huge crack in the hull. It's like there was a stress crack that couldn't stop in the plastic.

No hint of impact whatsoever. It's as if they slammed into a wake and cracked down the hull.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I own 2 Sea Doo Sparks (2015). They are still under warranty. I am kind of a safety nut because I have been boating since I was 6 and purchased my first PWC in 1978.

The Sea Doo's have never touched shore. They are anchored deep just like my wakeboard boat. My family and I went to the lake Memorial Day Weekend and took the Sea Doo's. They were hardly ridden, but, we did have to cross the rough basin of Lake Mead on the way back to the marina.

When I put them on the trailer, there was a huge crack in the hull. It's like there was a stress crack that couldn't stop in the plastic.

No hint of impact whatsoever. It's as if they slammed into a wake and cracked down the hull.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?
sounds like you might have hit a rock or so, i havent had issue. I have beach my seadoo upon clams and no dent nor cracks. Upload a picture for us to view.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You had to have hit something. Both of the skis I have are ridden hard, full speed across choppy water, hitting wakes faster than you should, jumping wakes and launching the ski 6' into the air, etc. I've accidentally smashed the hull into waves and it felt awful multiple times with no signs of damage.

You may have hit a floating log

·
Registered
8 Posts
A week has passed by, no follow-up, no pictures? C'mon man, either post your pics so people can analyze (and hopefully learn something) or don't make false claims.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem but it gets worse. No signs of impact but I have a large crack on the bottom of my 2016 Spark. Only 9 hours mostly by my 21 year old Daughter. I figured she must have hit something harder then she remembers but seeing all this on the forum makes me wonder. So I'm in the process of filing a claim with my insurance Company but I want to do the work myself so I don't loose the whole summer. My local Sea Doo dealer would take 6 to 8 weeks to complete this repair and I can do it in one or two days. I live in Chicago and there is only 5 or 6 more weeks of summer here.

Now the Sea Doo Dealer will not sell me the hull because it has the Vin serial number engraved in the side and they have special protocol they need to follow for Sea Doo.

I'll get some pictures but there is really nothing to see but a big 4 foot long crack that is too big to repair.

This is my 2nd Sea Doo my 2004 GTI LE just became too unreliable so I purchased a new spark this year so I would not have to deal with repair issues.

I've read most of the posts on this forum about cracked hulls and most people are here are Pro Sea Doo and they think every time a hull is cracked it is some idiot that shouldn't own a Jet Ski. Maybe 99% of these hulls are fine but I think there could be a problem with some of these hulls. I have never seen complaints about fiberglass hulls just cracking for no reason.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Crack length doesnt mean anything when repairing except more repair time and materials. In my experience with plastic the repairs are stronger than the base material was new as it will be reinforced and thicker. The places I ride and way I ride I cant believe I have not torn up my hulls already. If your within driving range I would love to give a shot at a hull repair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wizzer,

I own a plastic welder and I know I can make repair but I'm not sure if I can be confident in the integrity of the repair. It is about 12 hours labor to pull the hull so it can be welded from the inside and out. So if it does not hold it will cost too much time and money to make the repair twice.

My additional concern is when we first noticed the ski filling up with water we were not sure what happened and we just drained it out. Over the next two short rides it became increasing worse. It went from taking on 20 gallons in a 20 minute ride to almost sinking after 5 minutes. I think once the crack started and the hull filled with water the crack quickly spread.

I'm also thinking my drive up pad may have may it worse. Trying to pull up a jet ski filled with water on my pad may have made the crack longer.

I'll take pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This was the biggest reason why I was so hesitant to buy a Spark. I was told by the Yamaha dealer that they are throw away skis... The whole hull cracking issue really worries me.

The Yam dealer would say that while trying to sell a ski at twice the price. I slam my 230lb fat arse into waves all the time, on a couple of occasions I thought I had broken my wrists it hurt so much and the hull is just fine.

I know people have talked about variation in the injection molding process meaning that some bad ones could get out but the process is much more controlled that the Fiberglass process used on the other hulls, which is practically manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can't seem to make a picture small enough

I have the same problem but it gets worse. No signs of impact but I have a large crack on the bottom of my 2016 Spark. Only 9 hours mostly by my 21 year old Daughter. I figured she must have hit something harder then she remembers but seeing all this on the forum makes me wonder. So I'm in the process of filing a claim with my insurance Company but I want to do the work myself so I don't loose the whole summer. My local Sea Doo dealer would take 6 to 8 weeks to complete this repair and I can do it in one or two days. I live in Chicago and there is only 5 or 6 more weeks of summer here.

Now the Sea Doo Dealer will not sell me the hull because it has the Vin serial number engraved in the side and they have special protocol they need to follow for Sea Doo.

I'll get some pictures but there is really nothing to see but a big 4 foot long crack that is too big to repair.

This is my 2nd Sea Doo my 2004 GTI LE just became too unreliable so I purchased a new spark this year so I would not have to deal with repair issues.

I've read most of the posts on this forum about cracked hulls and most people are here are Pro Sea Doo and they think every time a hull is cracked it is some idiot that shouldn't own a Jet Ski. Maybe 99% of these hulls are fine but I think there could be a problem with some of these hulls. I have never seen complaints about fiberglass hulls just cracking for no reason.
Just keep getting error messages.

·
Registered
47 Posts

The reason most people get defensive when it comes to cracked hulls is due to the propaganda Yamaha was putting out against the Spark. It's not so bad any more but when the spark first came out there was a whole bunch of random user that would join and post about problems that were un heard of. It was always by new members with a single post and they would never reply to questions after that first post. Cracked hulls have been happening but mainly from impact damage. It wouldn't be crazy to see a few sparks go out with defective hulls or any other part for that matter. It's just not a very common issue that's why people like to see pictures.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.