SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a big supporter of the Sea Doo Spark since it came out. I have sent four friends who were not into PWC, out to purchase Sparks all with Sea Doo Move trailers. Sea Doo promotes like **** through Facebook, and I've always posted positive responses to people who were either looking to purchase one or people who bash it. Previous to the Spark I've basically had all Yamaha products, and was always told how Sea Doo reliability is on the iffy side, and that their customer service is terrible. I hate to say it, but those people were right. I had a poor experience when I first bought it, but that was the dealers fault... They didn't install my boarding step, and never gave me my fire extinguisher, etc that was paid for. This dealer was out of state, so I couldn't just drive back, so I contacted Sea Doo when I first purchased the Ski seeing if they would help work something out with getting the step installed, they basically said pound sand. I brushed that tiny issue off and didn't let it effect how I thought of the brand.

Within the first few hours on my Spark, the handle bars started to have alot of play in them, and thoughts of them breaking off were always in the back of my head. I contacted the dealer, and Sea Doo a few times about my concern, and they said they have to break in order for them to be replaced.... Yikes... Possibly cause inquiry or death to someone, then we will repair it... Awesome.

Over this past weekend, during a turn the steering completely stopped working, causing me to fly off and smash my head and body on the front of the ski. Luckily no major inquiry, just bruises, cuts in my mouth, and a shoulder and back that ache like ****. The Ski didn't hit anything either which was a plus I suppose... My bars didn't break, something in the steering broke... After that happened, I realized someone is going to get killed on one of these. During a different situation, my issue could have easily killed someone. The fact the replacement bars are cracking off still, and I would bet I'm not the only person who has had the steering completely fail. Sea Doo needs to engineer a better solution, and if someone gets killed over the issue I've had and I didn't speak up I would feel awful.

I contacted Sea Doo, and told them I would be a fool to ever get back on this thing, even with whatever part failed replaced, as it will just happen again. I'm an engineer so I might look at things different than the average consumer who doesn't understand the mechanical aspects. I tried to possibly work out some deal, where they could have given me a fair trade in for my Ski, and I would have paid more for a ski that has been in the market place for awhile with no known faults that will end up seriously inquiring or killing someone. They basically told me to pound sand and contact my dealer to have them look at it for the warranty...... They didn't care when I tried having my bars replaced when they were loose, they wanted them to break to even do anything, and now the thing has a major fault and they just want to replace it with the same part.... I've owned many skis over the years and this is the first major fault I've ever had, and BRP by far has the worst customer service in any industry. My dealer was closed on Mon, so I dropped it off yesterday, and they are back logged with warranty work.. (Shocker?) so it will be 10-12 days before they look at it....

Be careful out there....

·
Registered
516 Posts
You have a different issue that what is covers by the broken bars. The few people that have had broken bars has had them come right off, not just stop steering.
So far the spark has proven to be a reliable machine other than a small few that have had issues. Just do a browse through the green hulk forums you will see that the spark isn't the only pwc with issues. As with all power sports pwc's of any kind aren't without risk. With all machines parts fail and the spark is having a good run so far. There are many people on this forum that have very high houred sparks with zero issues, including myself with two rode hard sparks without so much as a scratch on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a different issue that what is covers by the broken bars. The few people that have had broken bars has had them come right off, not just stop steering.
So far the spark has proven to be a reliable machine other than a small few that have had issues. Just do a browse through the green hulk forums you will see that the spark isn't the only pwc with issues. As with all power sports pwc's of any kind aren't without risk. With all machines parts fail and the spark is having a good run so far. There are many people on this forum that have very high houred sparks with zero issues, including myself with two rode hard sparks without so much as a scratch on them.

Yes I've had PWC for a long time, I know nothing is perfect, that goes with anything....

But the steering system in these have a design fault. Even the replaced bars have snapped on many people, that's NOT normal. All of my friends Sparks bars are also very loose and have a lot of play in them. That's NOT normal. I've never had a Ski where I was afraid of the handlebars snapping off the whole time while riding it, and they will only do something once they break off and do who knows what kind of damage. Now on mine I completely lost steering, causing me to wreck. Once again NOT normal. I have had many different model PWC over the years, and not once have I been sketched out by them..Both of these issues, and the kind that can easily cause harm or death.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You'll notice all the threads talking about broken bars have slowly gone to sleep. As threads reporting repaired problems usually do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You'll notice all the threads talking about broken bars have slowly gone to sleep. As threads reporting repaired problems usually do.

False. There's plenty of posts and threads from people complaining the bars broke after the recall was done. My ski has had the recall done and all of my friends and over time they all have so much play in them, you can rock the bars front to back a ton, guess what? Those are all going to break over time. This is still a newish product, bars are going to continue to snap off.

I'm well aware riding PWC is dangerous obviously, but with proper riding and just paying attention there's very little risk. I've been riding for a long time, and to have a ski that has design flaws that make it dangerous is a totally different issue than user error. Bars becoming loose, snapping, and steering not working are not something to not take seriously. Those issues can and will harm someone.

Even my local dealer has said they keep coming in with broken bars.

Mine has had a fuel light issue, access panel pops off in decent wake, bars keep developing more play, steering stopping working completely. In warmer weather my ski is down almost 5 MPH on top speed.. That's alot of issues for a "New" Ski... My spark has had more issues than any other ski I've owned combined...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Even a search of the green hulk forum brings up no results other than mid 2014

·
Registered
516 Posts
I won't be concerned until I see a pattern of failures. As far as I'm concerned the broken handle bars issue is gone, at least until I start see some new posts pop up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
516 Posts
As I said from 2014, and that's one single post. There is no way to know if the recall was just claimed to be done or actually done. In order for it to be an issue there would have to be a pattern.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I won't be concerned until I see a pattern of failures. As far as I'm concerned the broken handle bars issue is gone, at least until I start see some new posts pop up.

Like I said, it's still a new product basically. Plenty of people have either fitted aftermarket bars because they know the stock ones are going to break, only a matter of time, or people have modded their stock bars in areas to try and strengthen them. Also first hand my bars and all of my friends bars, have developed insane play in them, obviously this are going to break over time... Plenty of people posting up about play in their Sparks as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I said from 2014, and that's one single post. There is no way to know if the recall was just claimed to be done or actually done. In order for it to be an issue there would have to be a pattern.

The issue is clear as day to me, you can try pushing the bars on a new spark, they are solid as can be. Overtime they become very loose and develop play. That is not normal. Also steering completely failing in mine is not a normal issue, that should ever happen randomly. Both are major issues that will harm someone.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't see how you can say it's a matter of time when yours is an isolated issue. Just because someone has fitted aftermarket bars because they "think" they are going to fail doesn't mean they are going to fail. I even just did a Google search, not a single report after September of last year. If your narrow it down even further to failure after recall there is only the one singular post. The only time for concern is when there is a pattern of failures and if there is a pattern they will make it to the Internet, maybe not all will post about it but if there are many failures there will be a few on this forum. So far we have had zero issue posted in 10 months related to steering besides yours.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Considering the number of sparks sold in the last two years, the number of failures are low.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't see how you can say it's a matter of time when yours is an isolated issue. Just because someone has fitted aftermarket bars because they "think" they are going to fail doesn't mean they are going to fail. I even just did a Google search, not a single report after September of last year. If your narrow it down even further to failure after recall there is only the one singular post. The only time for concern is when there is a pattern of failures and if there is a pattern they will make it to the Internet, maybe not all will post about it but if there are many failures there will be a few on this forum. So far we have had zero issue posted in 10 months related to steering besides yours.

You can glady come and see how my bars feel and all of my friends. You can move them forwards and backwards over an inch...... They didn't come like that, it's happened over time.... So you think they just get to a certain point of play but won't break? Come on man..

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm not saying they won't break. I'm just saying you would think at some point you would think if it is going to be a common problem we would hear about one that has already broke by now. We have lots of abusive riders on this forum with well over 100 hours on numerous sparks and we haven't put anything but oil in them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you're sure the dealer will replace your handlebars for free when they break, why don't you just break them on purpose? Break them, get them replaced and go ride without concerns.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you're sure the dealer will replace your handlebars for free when they break, why don't you just break them on purpose? Break them, get them replaced and go ride without concerns.

They've already been replaced once. Same with my friends, having play like this isn't normal. A lot of people here even complain about the same issue.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts