SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post up some of my testing information after I removed the flame arrestor and installed a Solas impeller and Riva wear ring since there seems to be a lot of misleading information out there.

First, I did some testing after I removed the stock flame arrestor and I didn't notice any significant performance difference. So I wouldn't recommend removing the stock flame arrestor unless you are installing an aftermarket intake.

So here is my baseline information I posted before:
V-Tech 402 Program Sport Average
5-15 mph: 0.64
5-25 mph: 1.28
5-35 mph: 2.12
5-45 mph: 3.75
5-50 mph: 6.15
Top Speed: 51.60 mph

Here is after I removed the stock flame arrestor and installed the Solas impeller and Riva wear ring:
V-Tech 402 Program FA Removed Solas Impeller Riva Wear Ring Sport Average
5-15 mph: 0.58
5-25 mph: 1.19
5-35 mph: 1.99
5-45 mph: 3.39
5-50 mph: 5.50
Top Speed: 51.50 mph

So the Solas impeller does make a difference. But I didn't notice any top speed difference that was claimed elsewhere.

Also the Solas impeller and Riva wear ring seemed to eliminate the cavitation I had when spinning the back end around and playing around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's really crazy the $ involved for little to no gain on these skis slowly giving up my hope on getting it to the 55-60mph range without going crazy and getting the turbo kit. If only someone would make a turbo/supercharger kit at a cheaper price point. I had hopes with the Solas and a tune to get it to atleast 53-55 mph range. Think we need more top end especially with these bigger props to see it's full potential.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree acceleration > top speed.

I don't get the desire for top speed. I find it hard to believe that getting another 4-5mph out of a spark is going to make it that much more fun. Depending on rider and water conditions, my sparks top out at 49-51. I can't tell the difference between 49-51, so why would I spend a ton to get it to 55?

I don't ride with other guys on big skis, I have 2 sparks, and play on small lakes whipping 180s, catching air off my own wake, etc. I find they are most playful between 25-35 anyway. For me it is all about the sweet spot in the power band. I only go above 40 when I am running across the lake and I need to get on top of the chop, as it stabilizes a little more at 45 when the lake is choppy. Other than that, I'm riding around working on getting my tail slides more consistently executed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sometimes I think it is just chasing a number instead of the actual fun you are having on the SeaDoo. I don't know why people think a turbo-kit would be cheap. Companies want to make money, an if you want a big boost in speed, then you are going to have to pay for it. I will say that I think it might be better to just buy a higher powered PWC in the first place instead of buying the Spark and then upgrading it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
thanks for the write up. I guess in the end with the amount of money spent its not a change that would be noticed much. Unless other with it can convince us otherwise.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was pulling 7800-7900 rpm with the V-Tech 402 program, flame arrestor removed, Solas impeller and Riva wear ring.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Look at comparisons through the years-
1- Mid nineties XP 110 HP Average about 57 Stock!
2-Later Nineties XP-L Shock seat 130 HP= 61-62 Stock
3- Supercharged Skies From 185-260 HP = 62 - 69 Stock.
If you bought the Spark for top speed You Brought The "Wrong Girl to the Dance?"

But 55 on the Spark would seem like 70 on my Ole RXT-X!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Look at comparisons through the years-
1- Mid nineties XP 110 HP Average about 57 Stock!
2-Later Nineties XP-L Shock seat 130 HP= 61-62 Stock
3- Supercharged Skies From 185-260 HP = 62 - 69 Stock.
If you bought the Spark for top speed You Brought The "Wrong Girl to the Dance?"

But 55 on the Spark would seem like 70 on my Ole RXT-X!
I'm not wanting miracles asking for 3-5mph to keep up with my buddies GTI atleast, when we go on long hauls.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm not wanting miracles asking for 3-5mph to keep up with my buddies GTI atleast, when we go on long hauls.
There are a Lot of us that would like that 3-5 MPH but I think BRP is going to be the one that gives us that because they can do it stock? (If they Want!)

·
Registered
81 Posts
The ski will do 55 mph but need to get right combo , just need to give it time ...

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All the results I posted were with a full tank of fuel. I did this to help keep the nose down for the acceleration runs. I know I'd see some better top speed numbers with less fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Best speed run with 1/4 tank and flaaaaaat water with snow flake rider ...

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your RPMs seem low. Full tank and (no offense intended) body weight are likely playing a large part in reducing your top speed.
So JoeZ, what RPM should I be turning? And since you think my body weight is playing affect into the top speed numbers I'm seeing, how much do you think I weigh?

·
Registered
247 Posts
So JoeZ, what RPM should I be turning? And since you think my body weight is playing affect into the top speed numbers I'm seeing, how much do you think I weigh?
The warmer the water and hotter the air the more the RPM suffers.
I was 8080 in 60 degree water- Now with 76 degree water I am at 8030!
Humid air in the deep south can make it even worse!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts