SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
The 91 is currently at $1.38/L here in Corunna. I put 23.5L in each ski and it cost me almost $65. So, ya it would have cost him near $30 or more from when the low fuel warning starts. That's not completely empty, but that's when I refuel.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If your running it regular enough the tiny amount of water the alcohol may collect is not going to do anything at all. Like I said pretty wall all engines post 2007 are designed around ethanol enriched fuels using stainless components and sealed level senders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
But if your up here in Canada where you're sea-doo, ski-doo, outboard... etc is in storage for many months of the year the alcohol will just keep soaking up moisture. You may think it is fine to run it in your engines, and that may be true, but I have had nothing but problems with my various engines ever since they introduced ethanol into gasoline. Especially in carb'ed engines.

·
Registered
306 Posts
But if your up here in Canada where you're sea-doo, ski-doo, outboard... etc is in storage for many months of the year the alcohol will just keep soaking up moisture. You may think it is fine to run it in your engines, and that may be true, but I have had nothing but problems with my various engines ever since they introduced ethanol into gasoline. Especially in carb'ed engines.
This is why you put gas stabilizer.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Fuel stabilizer will help with the prevention of moisture buildup, but the negative affects of ethanol on combustion engines goes for beyond that. Just google it and you'll find many articles about the negative affects on engines due to ethanol in fuel. It's actually worse on emissions some say, and according to many engine manufacturers the use of ethanol in fuel voids their warranty.
As far as I'm concerned it just a fill to creat an other money scam. Just like the fluoride in our local drinking water. It was costing too much money to properly dispose of the floride, so these industries convinced (paid) our government to introduce regulations to put this by-product waste (floride) into our drinking water, which causes dozens of negative health affects.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It even says in the owners manual that ethanol enriched fuels are approved for use in the spark. BRP are the ones that are warranting these engines for a possible five years and they say ethanol is just fine, so that's one reason not to worry. The money scam is buying ethanol free fuel for maybe a marginal increase in fuel economy.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The only really reason we use ethanol enriched fuel is not for emissions or fuel economy but to decrease dependency on fossil fuels. So yes it really is just filler.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Where I'm located the cost of 87 without ethanol and 87 with ethanol is the same.
I just don't want to drive 25 minutes to get ethanol free 87.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Good read. I highly doubt that any of our fuel purchased at a gas station is E0 even if advertised.
I could be spending more on 91 E0 while it has the same amount of ethanol as the 87 E15.

·
Registered
516 Posts
That article is from 2010. Since they lost, the automakers had no choice but to make their fuel systems E85 compatible. I have taken many fuel system courses on ethanol contamination. Since 2007 all manufacturers were forced to make their fuel systems ethanol compatible. I don't know about others but our fuel systems are good up to E85 even though they are not capable of running it. Ethanol is not going away. With a stainless fuel system you could probably fill your fuel tank with water and other than drive ability issues no harm would be done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I wonder if there is any easy way to test the pump fuel to determine the amount of ethanol in it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
There is. Use a graduated test tube. fill it half with water and half with fuel then shake it up. The amount of water will go up by the amount of ethanol that is in your fuel. You can than do the math to make that a percent. If you put in 5ml fuel and 5ml gas shake it. If let it settle and you have 4.5ml gas and 5.5 ml water. That means in that sample there was half a ml of ethanol. 0.5ml out of 5ml is 10%.

·
Registered
516 Posts
That same article mentions ethanol enriched fuels will be fine in vehicles that are designed for it. Well since that law was passed in 2007 all new vehicles have been designed with fuel systems compatible with a minimum of e10. Your manual even says the spark is designed to run with ethanol enriched fuels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Yes, I understand that BRP says it's ok to run ethanol "unriched" fuel, but for their results of their machine design process if we were to gain engine life by not running ethanol and if I can get 87 E0 at the same price of 87 E15, why wouldn't I run ethanol free fuel ?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Granted if you could find it run it. But here all regular fuel may be enriched by up to 10%. The only way to avoid ethanol is to buy premium.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts