SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. After a really frustrating holiday with my new(ish) Spark I was hoping someone has come across this problem before?
After leaving the ski with my brother for 15 minutes I returned to find it on the bank full of water! He'd apparently rolled the ski and the inspection cover had 'popped off' filling the ski with water (I've now seen he threads re a recall on inspection covers - possibly related?). Anyway, after removing the lid and the spark plugs I pumped the water out of the engine (yes - it had taken it in) and set about changing the oil etc. All done, Spark then fired up and ran fine - no issues.
Next morning the Sparks display was still lit and, pushing the starter, nothing happened - it was as if the Spark had not shut down properly. I removed the negative terminal on the battery and the Spark reset itself and was all ok....until next morning when the same thing happened! This time as soon as I 'reset' by removing the battery terminal the Spark would start but, if I waited about 20 seconds after replacing the terminal, it all shut down again (display still on - no start). I'm thinking a relay has got water in it? Any clues guys??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
it could be a relay that has gotten some water in it or something, it may dry out and work normal again, but if it did get water in a relay it I wouldn't trust it anymore, it will just corrode and end up giving you more problems. if you try a new relay in it with the same results you could have a damaged ecm!

there were some panels on early units that were to be replaced because the tabs were breaking off, new panels have shorter tabs on them, the question I would ask is which way he flipped it over again, there is a right and wrong way to flip it, flip it over the wrong way and the water in the exhaust dumps into the engine filling it up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
get in there, really dry it well and ALL the connections, some Wd40 here and there may help to absorb some water, and then, let it "sit" in a dry warm place, all opened up for a day or two, really "blow it out" as much as you can, water will conduct current and cause a lot of computer glitches, remove the battery and be sure it's fully charged as that can cause problems. Then, try it all again after fully checking it all...

And, after a bit of running, change the oil/filter yet again of course..g'luck, let us know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Hi Guys. After a really frustrating holiday with my new(ish) Spark I was hoping someone has come across this problem before?
After leaving the ski with my brother for 15 minutes I returned to find it on the bank full of water! He'd apparently rolled the ski and the inspection cover had 'popped off' filling the ski with water (I've now seen he threads re a recall on inspection covers - possibly related?). Anyway, after removing the lid and the spark plugs I pumped the water out of the engine (yes - it had taken it in) and set about changing the oil etc. All done, Spark then fired up and ran fine - no issues.
Next morning the Sparks display was still lit and, pushing the starter, nothing happened - it was as if the Spark had not shut down properly. I removed the negative terminal on the battery and the Spark reset itself and was all ok....until next morning when the same thing happened! This time as soon as I 'reset' by removing the battery terminal the Spark would start but, if I waited about 20 seconds after replacing the terminal, it all shut down again (display still on - no start). I'm thinking a relay has got water in it? Any clues guys??
Peter, we took our sparks in for the recall on the steering and were told both are recalled for an electrical issue in the engine! A harness is faulty and could cause a fire. Please call your dealer!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
it could be a relay that has gotten some water in it or something, it may dry out and work normal again, but if it did get water in a relay it I wouldn't trust it anymore, it will just corrode and end up giving you more problems. if you try a new relay in it with the same results you could have a damaged ecm!

there were some panels on early units that were to be replaced because the tabs were breaking off, new panels have shorter tabs on them, the question I would ask is which way he flipped it over again, there is a right and wrong way to flip it, flip it over the wrong way and the water in the exhaust dumps into the engine filling it up
My husbands is recalled for the flap as well and we are having it fixed along with the other 5 recalls combined on our two skis! Luckily our dealer was on the ball so should only be out of water for 2-3 weeks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
916 Posts
Didn't RunItTwice have the same problem as Peter with a bad ECM? I think it was on his Spark that got water in it too.

Page 71,21 of the manual for what to do when flipping a spark

Paula - there is a recall on handlebars, a campaign to replace some of the side panels and a notice to strap wires harness away from the engine so it doesn't rub on it and blow a fuse. Were there any other recalls or notices that they told you about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
The wire harness issue just blows a fuse and then a check engine light comes on, the only way a fire would start because of it is if someone replaced the blown fuse with a much larger one! it isn't considered to put people in danger, thats why the wire harness is considered an update and not a safety recall! a safety recall you will get notice from Brp in form of a letter, a update you will not!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Didn't RunItTwice have the same problem as Peter with a bad ECM? I think it was on his Spark that got water in it too.

Page 71,21 of the manual for what to do when flipping a spark

Paula - there is a recall on handlebars, a campaign to replace some of the side panels and a notice to strap wires harness away from the engine so it doesn't rub on it and blow a fuse. Were there any other recalls or notices that they told you about?
I had a bad start button switch and a bad temp sensor on the exhaust. The ECU was fine.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top