SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I purchased my 2015 White 3-up Spark (with IBR and convenience package) June 13th, and have been keeping gas records. Summary and assumptions at the end for those who wish to skip the boring math.

I have come up with a spreadsheet which I'm hoping I'll be ready to share after a few more tweaks. But here's what my preliminary data is showing me, after 7hr 57m on my ski, I'm averaging 2.17 Gallons per hour, at a cost of $4.29/hr. I've put 17.28 gallons ($45.23) in it thus far. So far, it has been all freshwater, lake use (overall calm) with mostly two people (~320lbs) riding it.

Last time I used it, my low fuel alarm came on, and I rode to the dock and pulled it out. When I filled it after that, I was able to put 6.7 gallons in it. If it is in fact a 7.9 gallon tank (anyone confirm this from empty?), that means the alarm came on at 15% reserves. Being conservative, I'd say you have 25 minutes of gas before you needed to fill. This tells me you have 3hr 38min (3.64hr) of [absolute] riding on one tank of gas.

Summary:
2015 3up with IBR
Hourage:
2.17 Gallons per hour
Time on full tank:
3hr 38min
Reserve alarm at 15%, (roughly 25min of riding)

So, all in all, 3 hrs of riding on a tank of gas is pretty good if you ask me, especially when the tank is so small.

Anyone else as nerdy as me and have this info to back me up?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Was out one whole day riding it mostly over 30 mph and got at least 5-6hrs before the alarm came on. The alarm comes on when you have 12 litres left out of 30, not sure what that is in gallons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
What octane of gas are you using? I use 90 and I feel like I can go alot longer than that but maybe not. Its not about hours per gallon its about smiles per hour. I'm also ridding a 90HP model.

·
Registered
516 Posts
What octane of gas are you using? I use 90 and I feel like I can go alot longer than that but maybe not. Its not about hours per gallon its about smiles per hour. I'm also ridding a 90HP model.

Octane will not make a difference on fuel consumption. These are unmonitored fuelling systems. There are no O2 sensors so the spark has no way of making adjustments for fuel volatility.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree it's in smiles and 'whooooooossss' per hour! I love my spark, as an engineer i'm a numbers guy, and there wasn't many smiles when my tank told me i was low on fuel, as i had no idea how long i had, and didnt wanna get stranded and need a tow.

I put in 87, as that is what the engine is designed for. And I read the alarm comes on at 40%, but my experience was clearly different. That is one reason I'm sharing my information, anyone else getting a 15% alarm? I have to say I'm super pleased as everything out there is saying you get about an hour on a tank, but my barely broke in engine is showing me different.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I get a minimum of three hours to a tank and my alarm goes off with two bars remaining. Not right at two bars but after riding on two bars for 15-20 minutes the alarm starts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have about 2 gallons left when the fuel alarm beeps. I've also ridden down to zero bars of fuel but thats really low as you can imagine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have never heard or read of anything about 1 hour for a tank ??? where did you hear this ???
The best I can get is 6 hours wave jumping . the worst is my daughters 2 hours and the tank is done. I have the VTECH tune and my figures are using the 109hp tune. When I changed it back to stock 60hp the figures are slightly better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can someone tell me what octane is preferred for the 90HP 2 UP? I had to put a lower octane in it the first time due to shitty stations in my area but it fortunately had no ethanol.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Im not sure, but i belive the octane numbers are diffrent in EU than in US. So i normally run 95, and 98 sometimes. Dealer said 98 is the best fuel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I did a little searching on wikipedia, and what i found out, is that in Europe and most other countries the octane is measured in RON and in Usa and Canada the octane is measured in PON. PON is the average number of RON and MON. The differences between RON and PON is 8-10, so 87 octane in the US is about 95-97 in Europe.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Back to the topic at hand.
2up, 90HO, IBR, VTS, Convenience package and I weigh about 185lbs.
During my first 3.75 hours, I used 7.2 gallons. Naturally, the low fuel tone sounded as I was about as far away from the ramp as possible. The ski was complaining very loudly but I made the 6 mile run back to the ramp without incident. That warning tone was so loud that some of the people at the ramp were giving me looks. Maybe it was just my imagination but the tone seemed to sound more frequently as the fuel level decreased.
In any case, that comes out to 1.92 gallons per hour. But this was during break-in and not much full throttle. I'm well past break-in now so I'm gonna keep track of my gallons per hour in the future and will report back after my next run.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
peeler01, thanks for keeping track of it too! I'm going out this weekend, and going to add the usage this weekend to my spreadsheet, and then I'll share, and hopefully you will find it useful too! I was honestly surprised more people don't keep track of this sort of thing.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Spent 3hrs 18 min on the water over the weekend and used 6.5 gallons of fuel for an average of 1.97GPH.
Most of this was wave jumping in the ocean and lots of varied throttle. maybe only 15%WOT, mostly mid range and some low speed idling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts