SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My start/stop switch has been going dead on occasion. Simply no response with or without the tether attached. Not a good feeling when you're in the middle of the lake. Fortunately it worked after 5 or 6 tries, but this needed attention.

The place to start is with the switch itself. Remove the white center handlebar cover, then one screw on top and one underneath the left cover.

I checked the switch out on the bench and noted it was reading about 7 ohms when closed. It required a heavy press - a few times I pressed apparently not hard enough and nothing happened.

It's pretty easy to pry the switch open for inspection. It's actually a double-pole switch, but only one pole needs to be working - should help with reliability. There was no visible fault, but I sprayed the gold contacts and the conductive membrane with CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and reassembled the switch. I noticed the switch now required only a lighter touch, and was now reading under 1 ohm when closed. I put it back on thee ski and tried it several times with the tether off, and it worked every time, again with a lighter touch than before. I will have to see how it holds up with actual use, but I'm hoping this fixed the issue.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Great info that you can get switch apart to service
I added a good amount of dielectric grease around the switch shaft to make it water tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out it was not the start/stop switch but the relay. Diagnose this by pressing the start/stop switch and listening carefully for the relay to pick. I could hear the relay pick, meaning the start/stop switch was working, but no power to the display meant that the relay was not making contact. (You can also hear the throttle servo when the relay does make contact.) I removed the relay and the relay cover and sprayed some contact cleaner on the relay contacts to get it working. Of course I will be replacing the relay. $8 from Sea Doo, $4 from an electronics supplier.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It happened again. Note the corrosion on the relay pin. Cleaned it up, but ordered a replacement anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts