SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
[QUOTE=Matiesh; when I put force down on one bar, and up on the other and turn the bars left to right. :D

Um...that makes me a little worried....so your saying that the bars have flexed and you need to twist them to get them back to the original spot? Does that make anyone else a little nervous that our bars can be twisted like that?:eek:

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mine squeaked for a while around the 5-8 hour mark, It was the plastic on the steering column(just above the lcd display) rubbing on the plastic below when I put force down on one bar, and up on the other and turn the bars left to right. This has since gone away and am a very happy sparker :D

As of this post I have 11 hours and 20 minutes on the spark and will have over 20 hours in a week... I love this thing!
My understanding with that statement is after he twisted the handlebars the noise went away. I could be mis-reading it.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Does anyone else's bars have play in them. Like they'll more foward and backward a tinybit

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hmmm matiesh - can you clarify for us if the noise went away on its own or if you pressed the handlebars a certain way to make it stop?

I don't know if my handlebars have any play in them but I will check Saturday

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just spent another 2 hours on the spark and noticed that there is still a slight rubbing noise... No where near as bad as it used to be.

In my previous post I was talking about a way to replicate the sound and not meaning to say that I bent the bars back... My bars are fine and I am happy :D

I noticed a little wiggle in the steering column(if you can call it that) so I will be checking for a nut under the sos panel to tighten this back up... If there is a nut this may be the cause of everyones squecking noise. I am at the lake until tuesday/ Canada day so I will have a lot to say over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I just finished prepping my ski for Saturday's ride. One thing I did try to do was get rid of the noise in the steering. What I found out was, if you take the handlebars and turn them they seem a bit tight. I took some wd40 and shot it on the shaft on the inside of the ski from the left side panel. Then I took the little red straw that comes with the can and carefully placed it by the bottom of the handlebars, right were the handlebars meet the housing on the outside. I took the straw and placed it near the two section and gently squirted the wd40 with a single short tap of the nozzle. You will be able to see the wd40 actually go in between the two pieces and disappear. I did this all the way around the handlebars. Now I notice the steering seems to be allot easier to move and more fluid now.

Hope this helps you guy's. I will see if it holds up for tomorrow's adventure.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good to know! but before everyone starts spraying their steering posts, should we see how well it works? or is it a case that the bushings have to "wear in"? also would the WD-40 affect the bushings negatively?

·
Registered
916 Posts
suby - i told you i would check saturday when i went out and no, the handle bars dont move up and down, well maybe a milimeter but like barely at all. not enough where i could even say it really feels like it was moving. i told serpent about your post when we were on the water and he checked his and same thing, no movement.

my squeek went away though. it started at 6hrs and was gone by 7hrs

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was out all weekend and found out that my "squeak" isn't actually gone, I will be trying the lube in the steering column but will be using boesheild t-9 when I find the bottle... it is waterproof and non-conductive(not an advertisement.. I actually use it on everything from guns - locks - brake/shifter cables)

I took a quick peek at the "steering column" and it looks to be a sealed unit from the bottom.... once again it was a quick peek.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I rode all day saturday and not a noise out of it. I also noticed that the steering is allot smoother now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
"there is a strange noise in my..." This sounds like a typical post in a new car forum. I have the noise too in my handlebars.

I would not use any lubes on the plastic steering column. My thought is to let the parts wear and I suspect the noise will go away.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The lubricant is not going to the plastic parts, its going to the bearing that is inside. My guess is the water splashing up over the handlebars just removes what little grease was there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Steering Noise

My Spark just started making a squeaking noise as well. It has about 15 hours on it. I called the local dealer and they were backed up about a week but they didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about too much.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts