SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Anyone had an issue with the steering on your spark being "stiff"? I noticed the last time out it seemed slightly hard to turn, now that it's out of the water it seems that the handlebars have stiffened up. On my old STX I could turn the bars with one finger, these seem to take more effort.

I've greased both metal shafts (storage compartment and jet) but it didn't seem to help. Any idea if the column itself should/can be lubricated?

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've noticed my spark turns better to the right than it does to the left. I mentioned it to my dealer and he said it is because of the direction the impeller spins.. Not sure I buy that but that's my issue

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've noticed my spark turns better to the right than it does to the left. I mentioned it to my dealer and he said it is because of the direction the impeller spins.. Not sure I buy that but that's my issue
Interesting, I would have the same impression from the dealer with that response. Might be best to wait for some more replies here to see what a lot of others are experiencing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I turn better to the left.

I also believe that the impact on the direction of the impeller makes very little sense. The only thing I could imagine having an effect would be gyroscopic action, but the impeller is not a big enough spinning mass to impact the spark I'd guess.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I turn better to the left.

I also believe that the impact on the direction of the impeller makes very little sense. The only thing I could imagine having an effect would be gyroscopic action, but the impeller is not a big enough spinning mass to impact the spark I'd guess.

Sorry I messed up. Mine turns better to the left not right. Any idea on why they seem to do that?

·
Registered
99 Posts
For me it is because I have better body control when leaning to the left. I think it is all body mechanics in my case.

I have friends who ride my sparks who claim they turn better to the right.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I had the same problem....sprayed wd-40 on the rod on the left side panel and a little in the bottom of the steering colum on the top. It now turns easier.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
For me it is because I have better body control when leaning to the left. I think it is all body mechanics in my case.

I have friends who ride my sparks who claim they turn better to the right.
how long have you been riding pwc's for? i guess because of your experience you have perfected your balance much more than others,

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
It all depends on how you stand. Take a surfboard and stand on it. If you stand to your right, that means going to the right on the board is easier and standing left makes going left easier. Put yourself on a ski and go into a turn real fast and that equation comes into play.

·
Registered
274 Posts
both of mine are stiff to move out of the water and any other one I have seen is stiff also, I don't notice it in the water though, could you clarify? do you mean the steering is easier to turn left or right? or the machine turns easier in the water left or right? I ask that because you will find the machine turns better one way than the other becauce of the way the pump is loaded by water coming in to the pump inlet and the rotation of the impeller, turning one way helps in loading the pump and turning the other way almost fights it, I am in no way an engineer but maybe someone else can explain it better!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts