SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone ,last week I was riding my 3 up ibr in the bay and ran over a patch of seaweed . As soon as that happened I got cavitation . My problem is this during this whole incident I had a barley enough gas to reverse then forward a few times so I just high tailed it back to dry dock. During the travel the ski seemed to work fine as I picked up speed . Did the seaweed come out on its own ? Once back on the dock I flushed the ski but stupidly I accidentally turned it off before turning the hose off. Realized 4 seconds after then fixed the problem. After that , whilenon dry dock I started it back up reved a few times to blow out(also to get the ibr to stay up) seaweed but noticed smoke coming out of the back . White smoke . Could this be from being out of the water or did I screw something up. The lights came on transmission. After wetting the back with the hose cooling it i started it up again and the lights went away along with the smoke . Should I take it to a dealer did I mess something up. It's always performed flawlessly until the seaweed , but after It sucked it up , there was cavitation for a little bit but after my gas light came on I floored it and then I was able to gain speed of 20 mph... is the seaweed out I wouldn't be able to go fast at all if it were still caught right? Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
60 Posts
In Lake Guntersville, we have hydrilla, milfoil, and eelgrass. Each can get caught in the intake and cause the ski to cavitate.

My experience is if I look down and see I'm in weeds, I first gun it and try to high-tail it out of there. If there is cavitation and vibration, that means I sucked some up, or its blocking part of the intake. Then its time to (1st take the key out) and go for a swim to SLOWLY pull the weeds out of intake so you don't break them off. Most of the time, that clears me up to keep riding.

Rarely, I still get cavitation/vibration when the intake is clear. In those cases, a small piece of debris (usually a wood chip) is wedged between the prop and wear ring. When that happens, I tow back to the dock, put the ski on a lift, and poke at the debris with a coat hanger or long metal rod until it frees up. Then good to ride again.

One time I picked up a bunch of twine and braided fishing line that wrapped around the shaft. You will be able to see something like that shining light into your intake. I couldn't cut it off with a long knife, and had to eventually take off the intake grate to cut all that line off.

I can't speak to the flushing issue, being in fresh water, I've never flushed my skis.

I suggest you take her out and see how she's doing. If you are getting power without cavitation, then you are most likely clear and good to go.

Good luck!

·
Registered
233 Posts
was it a lot of white smoke? A few seconds of water being run into the engine when its off probably isn't enough to get much, if any water into the engine. If it smoked then cleared up maybe a little water got into the engine, if it did you are fine, it is only a real danger if too much gets in and when you go to start it the engine hydro locks. You obviously didn't hydro lock since the engine starts, water makes a lot of white smoke when it is boiled off look into the intake grate and pump to see if you can see any debris, if not take it out and run it and see what it does. Then see the above comment

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seemed like several seconds worth of smoke . I immidiatly turned it off poured water on it and started it up again . It turned over no problem after screaming at me with exhaust temp high warning and a transmission warning . The exhaust temp warning I never saw before but the transmission light I did see , I accidentally left it running out of the water once and it came on. But why is the exhaust temp high coming on .nothing got locked up . Could the seaweed be causing the high exhaust temp or water got in the engine . Or am I just thinking too much into this. After I hosed down the rear that exhaust temp light went away.i didn't have a great deal of time to take it off the dock and put it back on the water in case you guys were wondering why I just didn't do that from the start.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am not 100% sure how the cooling system works. I know the engine is a closed loop system and uses heat exchangers but I am not sure if the pump takes in water and cools the exhaust, I am thinking it does because they tell you not to run it without water going through the flush port. So I think it is possible you had a restriction not allowing water to cool the exhaust. check for debris and seaweed in the intake grate and around the pump/prop. You didn't say if you checked this or not. If it looks clear then start it, run on the hose for a minute or two then shut water off, shut engine off. I would do that a few times to see if everything is good. Or if its easy enough just get it to the water and run it in the water. Can't run them long out of water due to the seal not getting water and will overheat, per the manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts