SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
im guessing it comes with the bailer and the bilge pump is what you have to pay extra for? it makes sense that the bailer works with engine power, but how do you get the bilge pump to start?

Thanks!
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/installing-bilge-pump.asp

Most turn on with a float switch when water reaches a certain level like sump pump in a house with a basement in a flood zone?
The 98 XP- L came with a bilge pump stock But I see no need for one in a Spark unless your parking it in water which you should Not do.

See Above!

Reactions: gregb

·
Registered
916 Posts
Nope. I don't park it in water. The marina guy fork lifts it out of the water as soon as I pull up, then I flush/wash, dry and they put it away on a storage rack.

I've just been hearing about some people getting lots of water in the hull (randomly, not after flipping it, leaving it parked in water or having it towed ) so makes me think to the future about things i may want to get and I like to learn all i can about things im into. H e l l , I learned how to rebuild a 49cc scooter from top to bottom just from a message board :)

cool info on boatus. im a member :)

thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is the response I received from my dealer when questioning the need to 'clamp' hoses when towing a Spark. I will apologize on behalf of the dealer for their poor grammar/lack of proof-reading...

'Hello,
I have spoken to Sea-Doo Tech and he says they are an ok thing to have however to place them on the right hoses you would need to get into the engine compartment and to do that on a spark you would need to take the top deck off. not something that could be done in the middle of the water. he says you are better off savings your money and not getting them. if you are towing a lot then it is worth having if you are worried about breaking down you wont have to worry about the hoses.

Cheers'

·
Registered
916 Posts
so ....

um....

ya...

(wow)

the manual says access hose to clamp through side panel and you most do this before towing. someone told me its back and down if you are sitting on it. I have clamps I need to find this hose, and practice reaching in for it to clamp weather seated or in the water. you would think if its something that must be done for towing they would have made its own removable panel so you can get to where you need to clamp. if anyone has pics or vids of where to clamp, please do share. Honestly the picture in the manual doesn't do a whole h e l l of a lot for me. It just looks like the biggest hose and down low. When you are looking in the side panel it feels like staring into a peep hole of a mini haunted house. Hard to see or touch anything in there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
so ....

um....

ya...

(wow)

the manual says access hose to clamp through side panel and you most do this before towing. someone told me its back and down if you are sitting on it. I have clamps I need to find this hose, and practice reaching in for it to clamp weather seated or in the water. you would think if its something that must be done for towing they would have made its own removable panel so you can get to where you need to clamp. if anyone has pics or vids of where to clamp, please do share.
Best you can do is while hangin at the marina sometime, pull the access panel, feel for the hose and see if you could get the clamp on, probably do this before you've run the engine to long to get HOT, the pic in the manual seems to show it well but, in practice it seem son the water, in any waves/movement it'll be hard, I just threw the pack of clamps into my storage and hope I never need 'em...

·
Registered
916 Posts
good advice. ya that's the plan, I just forgot to bring the clamp that I think will fit and look for it last time.

you threw them into your storage? that little cup holder with a lid on the front of the ski hahaha. I have zip ties stored under the seat with the fire extinguisher. I wonder if I can sneak a clamp in that area for storage. Next time I go out I'll see :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bilge Pump VS Bailer Explained! The Spark has the Bailer Vacuum system!

Why are they there?.... it's always better to have a back up system than to let your ski sink. The bailers work with the engine power... and the bilge pump is electric... so it's 2 separate power sources.

The bailers work from the jet pump. The hoses are mounted in the pump nozzle, where they are in a vacuum. that suction just draws the water up the bailer pick-ups, and it goes out the pump nozzle while you are riding around.
First thanks for clearing this up
Like you said the separate power sources are better than one. You never now what will happen when your out on the water.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/installing-bilge-pump.asp

Most turn on with a float switch when water reaches a certain level like sump pump in a house with a basement in a flood zone?
The 98 XP- L came with a bilge pump stock But I see no need for one in a Spark unless your parking it in water which you should Not do.
We have lake access and the neighbor across the street lets us use their dock. We pull them out every night when we're done riding them. They get cleaned and tucked away in a garage.

This is the response I received from my dealer when questioning the need to 'clamp' hoses when towing a Spark. I will apologize on behalf of the dealer for their poor grammar/lack of proof-reading...

'Hello,
I have spoken to and he says they are an ok thing to have however to place them on the right hoses you would need to get into the engine compartment and to do that on a spark you would need to take the top deck off. not something that could be done in the middle of the water. he says you are better off savings your money and not getting them. if you are towing a lot then it is worth having if you are worried about breaking down you wont have to worry about the hoses.

Cheers'
I plan on doing the same thing, no clamps. We ride on a lake and really never far from a shore. If something were to happen, I'd towed it to the closest shoreline and take it from there. We should be able to tow it with our other spark, just idling or with a little gas. Now if I was in the ocean or huge lake that would be a different story.

·
Registered
247 Posts
People worry TOO Much about this? I have Never clamped a hose on 14 Different Sea Doo,s? The ONE time I was towed 2 years ago my 98 XP-L Blew the engine and It really did not matter at that point.
I ride 20-30 Miles from my launch every time (On the River) and if I am stuck (Which I never have been) I have a The ability to get to the nearest marina- Then get a Cab to my original launch point and drive to the Marina where I was stuck and Pick up the Ski?
If you have a Phone and Credit Card (Or Cash) you have the ability to solve your problem UNLESS your in the open ocean and then you better call the Coast Guard!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
People worry TOO Much about this? I have Never clamped a hose on 14 Different Sea Doo,s? The ONE time I was towed 2 years ago my 98 XP-L Blew the engine and It really did not matter at that point.
I ride 20-30 Miles from my launch every time (On the River) and if I am stuck (Which I never have been) I have a The ability to get to the nearest marina- Then get a Cab to my original launch point and drive to the Marina where I was stuck and Pick up the Ski?
If you have a Phone and Credit Card (Or Cash) you have the ability to solve your problem UNLESS your in the open ocean and then you better call the Coast Guard!

Starting to think the same thing too after the short period my Spark was towed....for instance, the Coast Guard comes to save your **** lucky ass out in the ocean, the petty officer throws you a line and...."Wait!! (as you hold up your open palm in the universal sign for STOP) I need to clamp off my water supply hose!!" You'll get such an annoyed look and a unspoken shut the **** up and told to "grab the line sir!".

I don't think I'll buy any hose clamps or worry about it from now on. I mean if you have to tow the Spark for navigation purposes, as long as you keep it slow and under 5kts and a short distance not 20 miles, I think our Sea Doos will be fine. I would think if youre towing for 20 miles there are better ways to move your Doo and if towing if the only method available to you, I would also think being alive and towed to safety out weighs a flooded engine via the exhaust.

And didn't we buy Sea Doo because we trust they'll run when we want them too?

·
Registered
191 Posts
good advice. ya that's the plan, I just forgot to bring the clamp that I think will fit and look for it last time.

you threw them into your storage? that little cup holder with a lid on the front of the ski hahaha. I have zip ties stored under the seat with the fire extinguisher. I wonder if I can sneak a clamp in that area for storage. Next time I go out I'll see :p
The front storage: clamps with tow strap, mooring line, orange bumpers, sunscreen, SOS flag and quart of (drinking) water and couple of energy bars.

In the lil compartment unnder the "dashboard" is License, insurance, registration, compass, mini LED flashlite.

Haven't fig'd what to put under the seat yet, thinkin that's the "thermos" spot? since it's hard to get at on the water...

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm going to guess the coast guard would send you a towing bill no?

I'd probably try to clamp it before help arrives but Im sure a towing company would be far nicer about the " hold on let me clamp this " than the coast guard would be lol.

i bought a new vehicle so i didnt have to worry about it and these " first year kinks " have got me worried. oh well. best i can do is look for where to clamp it and practice "pretend clamping it " while on the ski and in the water. nothing more you can do right ? :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
I would hope that taxes would cover it but if I could just call the coast guard, maybe I shouldn't have bought a BoatUS membership :) I guess coast guard would just bring back to land and not to a mechanic or home marina/dock though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My understanding is that the coast guard is for rescue, not for all the other things you list. If you need to be rescued to live, call the coast guard, if you need a tow to a marina for repairs, call BoatUS.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Heh if you are out there long enough and are about to dehydrate to death you could call the coast guard. " I need the coast guard. Ive been using my ER paddle for 24 hrs straight and I can't get back in " LOL. My ER paddle does NOTHING in the ocean :/

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
No the Coast Guard will not send you a bill if they pluck you from imminent death on the high seas.

But all this talk about calling the coast guard...with what? Looks like we might need marine radios now set to CHANNEL 16 on our Sparks.

Don't count on your cell phone. It got wet, battery died, fell in the drink, not much signal I've encountered some places off shore US but still in the intercoastal waterway.

alas more gear..."I think we need a bigger boat." Jaws 1975.

·
Registered
916 Posts
True bug. I keep my cell fully charges before I go out, keep it in a water proof case and don't go anywhere i don't have service. I pretty much have service all over. but.. if i go to Bahamas I need to change my plan to include international, actually id make that trip with other people on skis AND a boat with a radio :p

ill check out that link though. thanks! :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts