SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good way of doing it / good product to buy for this?

I googled it and came up with someone on another message board asking if he thought bladders made for water would work. this other guy advising against it (i agree) said

I like jugs. LOL
Putting these inside your ski doesn't like a good idea. I put my bean and cheese burrito in my engine compartment and it is pretty hot when it is time for lunch.
Had to share. I thought that was funny as h e l l :):D

·
Registered
91 Posts
U won't need to carry gas with you. These things last for ever on the water. Just make sure when I full up to go slow and let the air bubbles rise so u can get the tank at full. Just give it a little shake and u will see the bubbles rise.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Heh Serpent told ya what my dumb ass did huh? LOL.

I want to drive down to key west or the Bahamas in the future and so far I can't find any Marinas south of South Beach that will allow a ski to fuel up. South Beach marina wants $10 a gallon if you buy under 15 gallons and Crandon park marina says no jetski fueling so Im trying to see who on the way south through the keys will sell me gas on the water. Without finding much luck yet I'm thinking other options :p

·
Registered
233 Posts
With all of the docks on the keys I would think you'd be able to find somewhere that would sell you gas. How long would that ride take you altogether?

Jugs seem like the best way to transport fuel. I can't see any other way of transporting fuel. Maybe a camel bag that you could wear on your back.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Couple youtube videos I've watched where Sea Doos go to Exuma etc usually have a red gas can strapped to the back back deck of the Doo.

Miami to Exuma Bahamas on Sea Doos Part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VssvWvtD0EA

Should probably look at a nautical chart.

Online NOAA charts. Cheaper than $40 each for paper version. The link shows the entire US Atlantic set of charts.
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/AtlanticCoastViewerTable.shtml

Map out your range of about 40miles per Spark tank. Wold leave you 10 miles safety margin. 5 Gal gas can probaably get you another 30 miles or so. I'm guessing. Plan it though else you'll be enacting tow procedures as discussed in another popular thread on this forum. ;)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for the link bug. heh thats my marina in the video :)

Not sure how long it would take. It's about 175 miles to key west for me. I'm sure there are some docks in the keys that will sell me fuel, i just can't find any in the northern keys that will. ive asked locals on other message boards and they say its a bitch to find gas for a ski via water south of south beach. I guess they will only sell to boats and dont want to be bothered with little jetski fuel sales. if i was a marina owner a sale would be a sale i wouldnt push it away because I was only going to make $30-40 on it.

also trying to find a northern key fuel stop since i want to play down there on a semi regular basis. the water looks awesome.

I wonder if they make super super holy crap water tight gas cans just for transporting on boats/skis :p

·
Registered
247 Posts
My Can Am Spyder friends in the West carry Reda Gas cans because sometimes its 200 miles between stations? Google them -They are vapor tight. You should set a 10 mile course and go back and forth with the Spark (Full Tank) at your anticipated cruising speed for the trip and see How Many Miles you get before the reserve light comes on? I run 3 hours (before reserve) up and down the river at an average of 30 MPH and I think you would be surprised how far the Spark would go on the 6 Gallons (Before Reserve) at a Ocean speed of 25 MPH average? My guess 75 miles before reserve at 25 MPH.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Sarge!

No reserve light, but it stats beeping and says low fuel when I get down to two bars left on my fuel meter. I'm not sure how long before I'm totally out and the ski stops but one time it was up to 5 beeps (once every 5 min or so) when I was on my way back to the marina to get gas and I was worried.

I wish the manual told you how many beeps you get before you're screwed. (how much reserve you have)
My spark is supposed to give me about 1 hour per 2 gallons per the dealership. I usually cruise anywhere between 15mph and 25 mph depending on how rough the waves are. Your estimate sounds about right though :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks Sarge!

No reserve light, but it stats beeping and says low fuel when I get down to two bars left on my fuel meter. I'm not sure how long before I'm totally out and the ski stops but one time it was up to 5 beeps (once every 5 min or so) when I was on my way back to the marina to get gas and I was worried.

I wish the manual told you how many beeps you get before you're screwed. (how much reserve you have)
My spark is supposed to give me about 1 hour per 2 gallons per the dealership. I usually cruise anywhere between 15mph and 25 mph depending on how rough the waves are. Your estimate sounds about right though :)

from the manual once it beeps you have 10L left that's a third of a tank

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks. I just looked for that in the manual and couldn't find it but it says once the fuel symbol starts flashing you have 3 gallons left ( a lil less than 1/3 of a tank ) d a m n. I thought the beeps meant you better high tail it to get gas, not that you have at the very least one hour left!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heh that would be cool. However when I make this trip it will probably be with friends that are also on skis :) I'm just kind of planning out gas stops, etc.. along the way. I'm one of those master planners. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts