SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

trashed wear ring replacement was easy!

21K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Straightbangin 
#1 ·
On sunday my wife rode my spark over a sanbar and destroyed the wear ring. The wear ring is very soft in the spark and will flog out if your not carful.

As I was in the country and 4 hours away form Melbourne I rang a dealer in melbourne who happend to have one in stock and my brother in law was driving to visit me the next day so he picked it up for me.

I was very impressed with how easy it was to replace, Just undo 3 bolts, steering arm and hose and it all comes apart,

Fit the seal to the new ring and slide it all back together! Took max 10 minutes.

See less See more
#8 ·
Yes they come stock with a plastic one, you can replace with either an oem plastic one or aftermarket stainles steel one. Some companies currently making the stainless ones are: Riva, Skat trak, and R&D.

#18 ·
It could be depending on conditions where you ride, the plastic wear ring is sort of a sacrificial part, in some cases if the wear ring doesn't "give" then it will damage the impeller, the plastic wear ring is cheaper and easier to replace than an impeller!

if all you are dealing with are small bits of wood or sand then a steel wear ring may be better, but if you are dealing with stones then keep the plastic wear ring!

#13 ·
You need a 13mm socket with a LONG extension or 3 shorter ones and 2 10mm socket and wrench and a flat head screw driver for the clamp on the hose and locktite blue when you put the bolts back on.

Reactions: Straightbangin
#15 ·
I thought the same thing about the impeller tool wingsup.

How long does the extension need to be? I have a long one for my scooter but its not long long, maybe 2".

Thanks

#16 ·
You need a 12" extension or 3 4 inch extensions.

#19 · (Edited)
I agree ^

At first when I learned what a wear ring is, all I could think was geeeze if they break so much I'd rather just get a metal one until I learned it helps protect the impeller.

Sarge - do you have IBR? I'm wondering how hard it is to get off. I'm hoping its just some bolts and a wire harness to un-clip.

#21 ·
Nice. Thanks. I'm just nervous because I'm new to it. After the first time I had my scooter taken apart it was easy to do it again. :)

#24 ·
We've sold a lot of the OEM plastic wear rings. They definitely go quickly and more easily than other pump rings.

Our customers using the stainless wear rings from R&D and Riva have had good results...just be careful not to suck up any rocks or you might sacrifice an impeller instead of that plastic wear ring.

Sea-Doo Spark Riva Wear Ring $179.99

Sea-Doo Spark R&D Wear Ring $238.18

#25 ·
Ya I was just quoted about $300 to replace the wear ring with 2.5 hrs labor time. (I was emailing around my area for shitz n gigglez even though I want to learn to do this myself. Sounded like a load of crap since I've heard from multiple places it took people less than 30 min.

I've decided that when the time comes I want a plastic replacement wear ring but hopefully something better than the one the spark comes with. Has anyone found a more durable wear ring and if so do you have the link to where I could buy it?

Also you don't need to take the impeller off to replace the wear ring? I'm wondering how soon I need to buy an impeller removal tool. I have an idea of how to do it from vids and the shop manual but just wanted to confirm. There are some things that can't be answered by looking at a diagram that looks like a nightmare.

Also it says when you replace the wear ring you have to replace x, y and x rings, washers, etc. is this really needed? or do i really just need the tools and some loctite? LOL. I want to start building a kit of all I'll need for when I have to replace the wear ring. Although it would be nice if I didn't have to replace it until it's time for a new impeller so I can do it all at once but I know that's wishful thinking. Ok done rambling,too much coffee :)

Thanks guys.

#26 ·
Hi Straight...I can't recall if you've got the IBR Spark or not? Don't really want to go through your 725 posts to find out...!! Anyway even with IBR you'll only need the following tools: 2 10mm ring spanners, 2 13mm ring spanners, a 13mm socket with extension bar or bars and if possible a flexible coupling to allow an angled approach to the 3 bolts holding the jet nozzle to the housing. That's it. The impeller comes out with the shaft, they don't need separating. The parts diagram is a great help. Available from Seadoo Warehouse.com for those not up to speed .. Any questions just shoot. Cheers Baz

#27 ·
Yes I have IBR. Ring spanner? is that a socket wrench? lol.

I just bought a 12" extension for my socket wrench. I will look into the coupling. I have the diagram. Thanks!

#28 ·
Seems like we call the same thing by a different name? Yep quite often you'll come across an open ended spanner which easily slips off a bolt or nut, well what we call a ring spanner is fully enclosed so it can't slip off unless maybe there is wear on the bolt head or the nut has its corners worn. We speak the same language, just with a different accent...tomarto or tomayto...and so on!!!

#29 ·
It seems so. Open ended spanner.. I had to google image that and it showed me what I thought you meant. Here we just call it an open ended wrench. Lol. I have those too.

I have socket wrenches, open ended wrenches, adjustable wrenches, monkey wrenches and an impact wrench. I have far more tools than the average woman lol.

unless maybe there is wear on the bolt head or the nut has its corners worn.
which brings me to my other tool ( a back out set ) for when I have stripped head in a screw so I can still get it out. It has def saved me before.

Ya Bazza, some of my friends in England say things and I'm like what in the **** are you talking about. My friend once said " I'm thinking of wearing my proper trainers to the stagdo " In american english this meant " I'm wearing my dress sneakers to the bachelor party "

:) My favorite kind of men are italian but my favorite kind of accent is English and Australian :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.