SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried a trickle charger on the battery in the Spark during the off-season? I know the manual says to remove the battery for charging. Not sure why. I have a trickle charger on my motorcycle which works great to keep the battery in top shape.

Thoughts?

· Registered
17 Posts
I was actually thinking the same thing. Curious to see how this works out or what others have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
43 Posts
It all depends on storage temp and what kind of trickle charger you have. Freezing conditions are very hard on batteries, especially when they're not being used. It's best to take the battery indoors where it can stay warm if your garage isn't heated. A trickle charger is ok to freshen it up every few weeks while being stored, but if you want to leave it plugged in all the time you need a charger with a maintenance mode that isn't putting a charge on constantly, because the small PWC batteries have a relatively small capacity. I'd worry about overcharging with an unregulated trickle charger.

· Registered
164 Posts
Just make sure it's a good charger, you'd be surprised how many people can't figure out why their batteries wont crank over their engine come spring time when they have boiled them dry.

They want you to remove the battery to charge it due to the chance there might be fuel vapors in the hull that go boom when you connect your charger.

· Registered
516 Posts
My batteries even have the battery tender quick connects permanently attached so I just have to plug them in. I think the manual is talking more about charging the battery, this is really only maintaining. Battery maintainers don't provide enough voltage for the battery to off gas.

Edit...
Your post got me interested so I investigated further. Battery Tender's website even mentions "Safe for enclosed engine compartment." The tender in maintenance mode doesn't produce enough current to create the dangerous hydrogen gas that the manual is worried about.

· Registered
6 Posts
Trickle Chargers...

I admit that I have a mistrust of unattended trickle chargers having had them fry a couple of deep cycle marine batteries over the years when left for a winter.

After spending decades pulling heavy dual 12V batteries from boats for winterizing, popping the dinky battery from the Spark was just so **** easy I couldn't see a reason why not to do it. Now I can store it in a nice warm house instead of a cold(ish) garage.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just set a monthly reminder to hook mine up to the battery tender for a few hours to keep the battery topped off. I disconnected the (+) cable from the battery to be on the safe side, but left the battery in the hull.

I keep my ski in the garage which doesn't get all that cold in the winter anyway.

· Registered
516 Posts
I've had good luck with battery tenders, touch wood. I have both sparks wired in parallel and on the same tender all winter. On a double trailer it isn't all that easy getting the battery out of the right one, even tougher putting it back in.

· Registered
3 Posts
On Board Factory charger?

Reviving this charger thread...

I just picked up a 2016 3up IBR and it has a wall plug already wired into the battery. I haven't used it yet or really traced the wires to where they hook in. Was this a factory option? Has anybody seen this before?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts