SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a FAQ for a first-time Spark buyer looking to understand how these VTECH (and other) engine tunings work?

I'm not clear on a few things, and figure there's probably a FAQ out there that will tell me what I need to know, like
- can the 60hp really be tuned to be as powerful as the 90hp?
- If so, why would anyone buy the 90hp?
- Can the new (2016) sparks be tuned?
- Why does SeaDoo allow this tuning to be possible?
- With these tunings available, why do people buy the higher-priced (almost twice as expensive) GTI/GTS (sorry don't know my model numbers) models?

Glad I found this forum before I make the plunge! Looking forward to learning all about the Spark before I drop my cash.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is a special case. The engine that comes in all sparks is actually a 90hp engine. In an act of pure greed they limited the amount the throttle can be opened up because it is a fully electric system so they could in effect detune the engine . Then charge an extra $700 if you want the engine to go to full power. So all the aftermarket tuner does is change the map to do the same thing but with a bit more agressive map.
I have both a 90hp and a 60hp tuned to the so called 109hp map. In reality my wifes 90hp spark is about 1 mph faster than my 109hp spark on top end but the 109hp accelerates out of the hole faster which I like more. Had I to do it again I would have just paid extra and got a 90hp from the factory and said to heck with the tuner hassle.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There are some good videos on youtube about remapping . Its not just plug and play . There will be phone calls,emails ,paypals,waiting for shipping,possibly driving to a owner of a tuner. Checking a box on an order form and not messing around with possible warranty issues for some is a lot easier. My personal annoyance with vtech is the slow email response (they are from another country by the way) and lack of a decent touring map . Some detailed information on there web site is not translated and uniformative.
One advantage of the tuner is it can retrieve and clear codes and messages.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had no troubles or issues or hassles with ordering, receiving, using mine...I ordered mine from Greenhulk PWCPerformance...it was shipped out as Priority Mail and I got it in 2 days...followed the instructions to setup an account with V-Tech...plugged in the MapTuner to the computer and followed the onscreen prompts....easy as pie...I downloaded 3 tunes for my 2015 90HO Spark....it takes about 10 minutes to install the tune to the jetski...installing the tune is easy, just follow the prompts on the screen.... the other week I went to the lake and tested all 3 tunes to see which I liked best...I ran one tune, then came to the bank and installed the next tune, ran it, then came back to the bank and installed the 3rd tune all while standing in knee deep water....I have the 1st generation of the Tuner, but, now they have a 2nd generation tuner that is touch screen and is faster...it's already at the top of my Christmas list!!!!!!!!

You can always re-tune to jetski back to the original 60 or 90 hp before taking the ski back in for warranty work.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have had a email back from Vtech now saying that the original box will work on a 2016 spark but if you don't have a box already go for the X
But the 2016 300hp needs the X tuner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had no troubles or issues or hassles with ordering, receiving, using mine...I ordered mine from Greenhulk PWCPerformance...it was shipped out as Priority Mail and I got it in 2 days...followed the instructions to setup an account with V-Tech...plugged in the MapTuner to the computer and followed the onscreen prompts....easy as pie...I downloaded 3 tunes for my 2015 90HO Spark....it takes about 10 minutes to install the tune to the jetski...installing the tune is easy, just follow the prompts on the screen.... the other week I went to the lake and tested all 3 tunes to see which I liked best...I ran one tune, then came to the bank and installed the next tune, ran it, then came back to the bank and installed the 3rd tune all while standing in knee deep water....I have the 1st generation of the Tuner, but, now they have a 2nd generation tuner that is touch screen and is faster...it's already at the top of my Christmas list!!!!!!!!

You can always re-tune to jetski back to the original 60 or 90 hp before taking the ski back in for warranty work.
how much did all this set you back? can you send me the link and what's the highest hp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.