SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, yesterday was a cracker of an Australia Day public holiday so we headed to our block up the river for a day trip.
as usual, we had the boat and the Spark there. We installed the VTS last weekend but haven't had an opportunity to try it out until yesterday.

I can say it was definitely money well spent. We had a blast trying it out at different settings, the launch you get from the full up position is awesome! Add in the wake from a few wake boats and you really fly out the water. Heaps of fun.

turning was a very different experience from full up to full down. Full down it digs in harder, turns harder, and man does it give your arms & legs a workout!
I also found turning with full up position was just as much fun, cause it slides like crazy - it pretty much drifts! there weren't many people on the water yesterday so we were free to ride around like morons lol. we had heaps of fun alternating between trying to power slide as much as possible, and turning as hard as we could.

we also decided to give towing a go for the first time. For reasons I can't explain, I was nominated to be the observer. And I just want to mention how completely unsettling sitting backwards when you're going over wake from other boats is!! I really felt like I was going to be thrown off lol.

we don't have a tow pro or anything, just used the tie point off the back & put the rope for the kneeboard on the shortest setting. The VTS came in handy for this too - as you can imagine with 2 people on the ski it tried to launch up, so we trimmed it all the way down to get a smoother take off. It actually towed really well for a small ski, my brother weighs close to 100kg (he's tall) and my boyfriend and I combined would be just over 150kg and it was pretty decent. only thing was the back end did move around a fair bit so Tony had to compensate for that while driving. ours is only a 2up, I imagine it might not move around as much with a 3up. But it was handy to know that if we go away for a quick day trip and my dad can't bring the boat we can still get out in the water and have some fun.

all in all a great day on the river, and I can say that despite the VTS being a lot worse to install than I thought it would be, it was definitely worth the investment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Awesome review! Something I will be looking into, also have a 2up. I was up at mannum monday and the good old murray princess came passed, that's always a fun time! Talk about getting big air! Glad the towing went well, I was given a single tube for Christmas and am waiting to give it a go! Will let you know the outcome.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one thing we noticed with towing is that we totally forgot how much fuel it sucks lol. normally a tank lasts us a day and a half, this time it was all over by 3pm.

if you decide to get VTS, let me know. I bought ours from a store interstate for total $280 including postage and installed it ourselves. the installation is tricky and without some tips you will get stuck, so we can help if you like.
otherwise you can always ask for a quote for a dealer to install but I recon they'll charge a fair bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
am having a heck of a time trying to get the connector off behind the information screen underneath the handlebars. The instructions say to insert a small flat screwdriver in the pry holes. However, doing that does not detach the connector.*

Has anyone else had an issue with this and could you please give me some advice on how to take it off please?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Here is a picture of the connector unplugged. That red tab slides back maybe a 1/8" of an inch. Then once it is back you squeeze the tab in front of it and pull the connector off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
am having a heck of a time trying to get the connector off behind the information screen underneath the handlebars. The instructions say to insert a small flat screwdriver in the pry holes. However, doing that does not detach the connector.*

Has anyone else had an issue with this and could you please give me some advice on how to take it off please?

Thanks in advance!
yes we had the exact same issue
You need to actually unplug it from the screen FIRST before you do what teh instructions say. - we were at it for hours before someone gave me this tip & then we were able to finally get it off:

Pull red tab out, then in the center of red tab is a tab that needs to be pressed while pulling out the plug.

it really would be helpful if the instructions explained how to get the plug off from the back of the instrument panel first.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think the issue is the instructions were made for a technician and not a do it your selfer. So a technician would have a good idea of unplugging the standard vehicle plug. The instructions are there for adding pins because it isn't a standard everyday procedure even for a technician.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you sure you got the right connector? It's kind of hidden

Indeed. took us ages to find where it was - had to snip some cable ties so we could move some other cables out the way to find it. (re tied them afterwards though)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hooked up my VTS yesterday. Shows up on the screen , but I can't get my IBR override to work following the instructions. I also tried to test it by running the spark off the hose, at idle in forward, and the adjusted the VTS, but I see no movement on the indicator on the screen? Connections are corrrrect as per the instructions, any suggestions would be awesome.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had someone else stand behind the ski while I did the IBR Override test so they could confirm it was moving cause I couldn't tell while hitting the button.
and yes Cormacs is right, it's really small steps and you have to tap it multiple times rather than just hold it down.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had someone else stand behind the ski while I did the IBR Override test so they could confirm it was moving cause I couldn't tell while hitting the button.
and yes Cormacs is right, it's really small steps and you have to tap it multiple times rather than just hold it down.

If you hold it, it will move from stop to stop. It just takes a few seconds. I tested it again today while I did the oil change on my two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you guys pickup the VTS kit for Sparks? My local dealer is trying to tell me that they need to install it as they need to "code the system in". Happy to install myself, just struggling to track one down.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where did you guys pickup the VTS kit for Sparks? My local dealer is trying to tell me that they need to install it as they need to "code the system in". Happy to install myself, just struggling to track one down.
where do you live?
i live in Adelaide and I ordered it from a store in Queensland. i just gave them a ring & they emailed me a receipt & it arrives less than a week later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.