SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was looking to purchase a cleaning supply made for the spark and noticed some fine print warranty info for people buying parts/accessories off the SeaDoo site. I'm guessing this means if I buy an oil filter from SeaDoo to do my own oil change and I don't have a dealer tech do it, the warranty is void. The first oil change isn't due until 100 miles & for me that will probably be my one year mark when the warranty is up anyway, but geeze..

Check it out:

http://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/10390369_10201375279304381_5544401622174011391_n.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
The way i read the fine print was that the part itself would not be warrantied, not the seadoo unit itself. Not sure what kind of warranty they would offer on an oil filter but maybe warranty dor bigger and more expensive parts. I plan on doing general mx myself and i sure hope it doesnt void warranty.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too. Ya I can see what you're saying about how it reads. I'm just having flash backs to the time I had a new Hyundai and I did my own oil change and replaced it with a regular ( non hyundai ) filter and when they went in to fix something else they said they noticed my filter was not a hyundai one and so my warranty was void.

Thank God I don't have that car anymore. will never buy another hyundai ( on a side vent they dont tell you their 100,000 bumper to bumper 10 yr warranty is an extra grand )

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
?never heard of a car being void of its warranty just because the filter isn't factory and I have been in the biz for 25yrs. As long as your changing your oil that's a good thing
It also states that you need to contact BRP for warranty on items. In other word, it's a blanket statement meaning accessories will not be covered if you install them but I am pretty sure oil filters and such will have a warranty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll have to check with my dealer WHEN I get them about oil changes
I was told the ski has warrantee but if you DIY the accessories they only have 90 days

·
Registered
114 Posts
you can do your own oil changes...get the brp products and save your receipts. warranty will still be intact from what my dealer told me.

same goes for aftermarket parts. they cant void your warranty for having (for example) a Riva exhaust unless the aftermarket part is the cause of the issue.

this has always been a touchy subject with dealers, regardless of it being a ski, car, bike...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know on the seadoo site they have oil filters and an oil filter kit but it says "except for seadoo spark " im wondering when seadoo will sell the seadoo spark filter on their site. id rather order online than travel a few hrs to the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The law states that any dealer who says your warranty is void because of the use of non original parts.or not using dealer for service..by law can be sued and will have to give you the service and parts for free...Magnusson moss warranty act..so relax the law is on your side.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks sparkitup, i think i heard about that but forgot about it. will have to research it and use it as amo should s**t ever hit the fan with the warranty :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I believe as long as you document every thing you do and you follow the maintenance chart as for when certain things need to be done, e.g. oil changes, inspections, off season storage, etc. it shouldn't be a problem, now if something wasn't done right and that caused a problem you will be on your own!

As for using non oem parts, that isn't an issue either as long as they meet manufactures specification and in that case you could have a fight on your hands with things like oil filters etc because who says they meet manufactures specifications? the aftermarket company or Brp? and who is paying for the claim? the aftermarket company or Brp?

I am not telling anyone to not do their own work or if they should or should not bring it to a dealer, I like to work on my own stuff, but I know some people that should not own any tools!! sometimes having someone that sees the stuff all the time should be the one looking at it because they may see something that could be a problem that most of us would not!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ very true. Sparks only have a one year warranty anyway. The first scheduled service (per manual ) is at 50 hrs and the 2nd is at 100hrs. so I'll only have to play by warranty rules until june 1st of next year and probably only have to deal with the dealership for my 1st service date ) i hope that's all. I prepaid for the first servicing and the shipping to and from the marina when i bought my ski because I just wanted to take care of it all at once.

after that its DIY and if need help i'll get the mechanics at the Marina in on it :) glad i have the shop manual. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts