SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure I understand. Is it a sacrificial piece to protect the pump or the impeller? I can't see how it protects an impeller since there is minimum clearance. If it protects the aluminum wall of the pump wouldn't the strength of stainless as a replacement ring risk distorting the pump shape if a rock was sucked up?
I once replaced an aluminum boat prop for a stainless because it would be stronger. I nicked a rock at 2 mph and the prop was fine but the shaft was bent. In the end it cost me much more to fix than a new prop. Might a similar principle apply here with a stainless wear ring ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not sure I understand. Is it a sacrificial piece to protect the pump or the impeller? I can't see how it protects an impeller since there is minimum clearance. If it protects the aluminum wall of the pump wouldn't the strength of stainless as a replacement ring risk distorting the pump shape if a rock was sucked up?
I once replaced an aluminum boat prop for a stainless because it would be stronger. I nicked a rock at 2 mph and the prop was fine but the shaft was bent. In the end it cost me much more to fix than a new prop. Might a similar principle apply here with a stainless wear ring ?
Correct. The plastic wear ring gives and is chewed up when something goes through the pump. Easier on the impeller. When you have the SS wear ring, there is no give and the impeller takes the abuse. $70 for a new wear ring, $300 for a new impeller. I would rather replace the wear ring instead of the impeller.

Yep, my phone sent this...

·
Registered
318 Posts
If that really is the idea behind it then it would be a good idea to have a spare and tools in the parking lot for the quick change. Maybe even on board.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Has anyone found the best deal on seadoo parts ,wear rings in particular? I picked one up off ebay for $50 shipped for a spare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts