SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so a few weeks ago was our last ride on my brother and my skis. My brother noticed his acceleration was not as fast as normal, however his top speed was fine. Just took a little longer to get to top speed. When we took them home to flush, we noticed that my brothers ski sounded weird when flushing. There was a rattle that we have not heard before coming from the rear of the ski. After about a minute of flushing, we shut off the ski and water. We looked at the jet pump and noticed shavings of black plastic. We looked in with a flash light and noticed the wear ring is being worn down by the prop. However, the prop looks perfect, not a ding or dent at all what so ever on either side of the prop. We looked from the rear, and from the underbody of the ski. Prop looks flawless. Nothing was sucked in during the ride, he would have noticed something if it was.

With that, I am wondering why the prop seems to be hitting the wear ring. Is it possible for the rod to be out of alignment? Or for the prop to be out of alignment?

I plan to bring the ski to the dealer this week to have them take a look, and see what they have to say. Was also wondering what the chances are that this will be covered under warranty. I am pretty sure that once the dealer looks in there and they see that the prop is flawless, with no dings or dents, they will realize nothing was sucked in there at all. I am pretty sure they will want to change the wear ring since you can tell that it is worn down pretty quickly. We got these skis back in the beginning of July, so they are practically brand new...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey guys, so a few weeks ago was our last ride on my brother and my skis. My brother noticed his acceleration was not as fast as normal, however his top speed was fine. Just took a little longer to get to top speed. When we took them home to flush, we noticed that my brothers ski sounded weird when flushing. There was a rattle that we have not heard before coming from the rear of the ski. After about a minute of flushing, we shut off the ski and water. We looked at the jet pump and noticed shavings of black plastic. We looked in with a flash light and noticed the wear ring is being worn down by the prop. However, the prop looks perfect, not a ding or dent at all what so ever on either side of the prop. We looked from the rear, and from the underbody of the ski. Prop looks flawless. Nothing was sucked in during the ride, he would have noticed something if it was.

With that, I am wondering why the prop seems to be hitting the wear ring. Is it possible for the rod to be out of alignment? Or for the prop to be out of alignment?

I plan to bring the ski to the dealer this week to have them take a look, and see what they have to say. Was also wondering what the chances are that this will be covered under warranty. I am pretty sure that once the dealer looks in there and they see that the prop is flawless, with no dings or dents, they will realize nothing was sucked in there at all. I am pretty sure they will want to change the wear ring since you can tell that it is worn down pretty quickly. We got these skis back in the beginning of July, so they are practically brand new...

if the pump shaft was out of alignment that could cause damage to the wear ring, the only way that would happen is if the bearings were damaged in the back of the pump or the pump it self were warped, the pump being warped would be unlikely, if the problem isn't in the pump then you likely sucked something up, you might not have noticed it but it happens.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wear rings do just that ,wear. As sand and debris goes through the water pressure eats up the tight tolerance. Glazing over a couple of sand bars is all it takes . Make sure you check the bearings though for play .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wear rings do just that ,wear. As sand and debris goes through the water pressure eats up the tight tolerance. Glazing over a couple of sand bars is all it takes . Make sure you check the bearings though for play .
well, the ski is currently at the dealer waiting to be looked at. we'll see what they say.

i understand that wear rings are intended to wear, but the prop should not be hitting the wear ring causing shavings to be taken off of the wear ring, especially during simple 60 second flushing.

when we winterized them last weekend before taking to the shop, we pulled out a six inch piece of plastic that was spun like a piece of string. came right from the wear ring. this was shaved off from the prop hitting the wear ring during the flush.

something is definitely out of alignment...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it sounds like something is bent. If damaged though they most likey wont cover it under warranty .
Which sucks because I am 100% positive nothing was sucked in to the impeller. My hopes are that when the shop goes in there and inspects everything, they see the ski is in flawless condition, and the prop looks spotless. If something were sucked in the prop would have indications of that occurring.

We'll see what happens...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Which sucks because I am 100% positive nothing was sucked in to the impeller. My hopes are that when the shop goes in there and inspects everything, they see the ski is in flawless condition, and the prop looks spotless. If something were sucked in the prop would have indications of that occurring.

We'll see what happens...
the only way you can be 100% positive nothing can get sucked up is if you only ran the unit in a clean test tank that had filtered water in it, things end up in the water all the time and things will float just under the surface just waiting to get sucked up, pretty hard to see those things when cruising along at 20-30 mph, if you are cruising along and the engine is turning at 5000rpm the impeller is making 83 revolutions every second, things happen pretty quick and if something went through the pump that was softer than the impeller then the impeller would be spotless but could very easily still destroy a wear ring, I have seen small pieces of wood, nut shells, bottle caps etc do that kind of damage, the only way I would know that is because those items were still stuck between the impeller and wear ring, other times you see the damage but what caused the damage has gotten spit out the back end.

hopefully they find the bearing has failed in the pump (that sounds bad, but at least that way it wouldn't cost you) and they fix it under warranty, Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the only way you can be 100% positive nothing can get sucked up is if you only ran the unit in a clean test tank that had filtered water in it, things end up in the water all the time and things will float just under the surface just waiting to get sucked up, pretty hard to see those things when cruising along at 20-30 mph, if you are cruising along and the engine is turning at 5000rpm the impeller is making 83 revolutions every second, things happen pretty quick and if something went through the pump that was softer than the impeller then the impeller would be spotless but could very easily still destroy a wear ring, I have seen small pieces of wood, nut shells, bottle caps etc do that kind of damage, the only way I would know that is because those items were still stuck between the impeller and wear ring, other times you see the damage but what caused the damage has gotten spit out the back end.

hopefully they find the bearing has failed in the pump (that sounds bad, but at least that way it wouldn't cost you) and they fix it under warranty, Good luck!
i can understand that, thanks for explaining.

i do not know anything about bearings in the pump. can you explain to me what they are for, and if they failed, how that would cause this problem with the ski?

·
Registered
274 Posts
i can understand that, thanks for explaining.

i do not know anything about bearings in the pump. can you explain to me what they are for, and if they failed, how that would cause this problem with the ski?
no problem, the bearings in the back of the pump support the pump shaft that the impeller mounts to, if the bearings failed (which is uncommon, but not impossible) the shaft could move enough to allow the impeller to contact the wear ring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey kennetht would you post what you found out about your issue with your wear ring/shaft problem at the dealership because I have a similar issue on one of my Sparks but I have a upgraded riva stainless steel wear ring and I think my impeller is rubbing on it and making some metal shavings and I hear a loud rattling at Idle thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeh a stainless wear ring is not a good thing when something gets bent or the bearings go out. You cost of repairs goes up dramatically as now the impeller will now be trashed as well. To bad they stilll dont have a stainlees ring with an easily replacebale plastic insert.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so it turns out that according to the dealer, my prop spun itself off of the shaft, hence why i was hearing all that rattling and having shards of the wear ring getting grinded down by the prop. the prop literally spun itself off the shaft and was just bouncing around in there unbalanced whenever the prop spun. (absolutely no clue how/why this happened, but the dealer confirmed that it is nothing to do with user error, so seadoo should definitely cover the repair)

according to the dealer, the prop is damaged, the wear ring is destroyed, and the jet pump has damage as well.

the dealership has put in the warranty request to seadoo, and i am waiting to hear back. its been 2 weeks now that the ski has been sitting in the shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.