SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Between the engine and impeller the is a driveshaft with splines on each end. That's why it moves forward when you start it and it idles at 3 mph. IBR only directs the thrust straight down so you don't move forward. Sorry no clutch or way to disconnect the impeller while sitting there

·
Registered
247 Posts
YES that's exactly what happened.
Makes me wonder what's between the engine and driveshaft - a clutch?
At more than 2800-3000 rpms the drive shaft and prop flex More and it makes the terrible vibration. If you continue you either break the wear ring OR you mess up the drive shaft splines and pump!
With my RXT-X I have idled home on the river several times for several miles BUT it was cheaper than ALL the repairs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We recently had something blow a hole in the Plastic Wear Ring. We idled at 5 MPH for 2.5 miles back to the dock. My thinking is that if it was a metal wear ring the object would have remained inside until it either broke into small pieces or broke my impeller. We are going to replace with the plastic one just because we believe it actually prevents more expensive damage. I read on one post that it was a sacrificial part, meaning it goes before something more expensive goes. Is there some sort of Grate that can be installed other than the kitchen wire rack attached with wire ties as some users have suggested? Is there not a "brush/debri-grate that can be attached to eliminate most junk from entering the impeller area?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jan 2021 - this thread is probably dead. Has the "fragile plastic wear ring" issue been resolved six years later? :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
After the first stick I sucked up trashed the wear ring, bent the impeller and broke the plastic intake grate I switch all of it over to aftermarket. Solas SS impeller and wear ring, Worx metal intake grate with top loader (directs water to the top of the pump and more cross area to stop sticks from getting in). I haven't had any trouble with sticks since, I imagine between the SS impeller and wear ring it just chews them up.

With both impeller and wear ring SS there is no more 'sacrificial' part however so if you suck up a rock it may damage both, but it did the exact same thing with the aluminum stock impeller and plastic wear ring. I limped to shore at idle only when the stick was in there and actually had to remove the impeller to remove the stick.

I don't know if I'd trust that delrin wear ring on fleabay as it's just a piece of tube, not in the same shape as the stock or SS ones.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts